Friday, June 3, 2011

Some Light Reading for a Friday Night...

I've been busy over the past few months, which is why I haven't posted much. Here's an update, with bullet points to make it easier for you:
  • I wound up being on the Steering Committee of our capital campaign. I'm doing the spiritual emphasis, so we're organizing a prayer vigil and prayer prompts/guides for each week for the rest of the campaign. 
  • I'm also the chair of our still-forming Endowment Committee. Our first meeting is at the end of this month. I figure this financial experience will help me when I go back to being a pastor.
  • I'm speaking at the United Methodist Women's meeting this Monday. It should be fun, and I'm going to speak about women's roles in the church, specifically my call to ministry and the challenges and blessings that I've faced as female clergy. 
  • I've met with Mac about three more times since my post back in early April. One time he initiated it (as a response to a question I asked), but the other two times I initiated the meeting, as a result of stuff that I am processing/experiencing (more on that in another post). He has been absolutely magnificent, has become a valuable mentor, and is also becoming a friend. I'm beginning to feel more comfortable with him, in the sense of feeling like his equal instead of "meek provisional elder who sucked at her first appointment vs pastor of large church with twenty years pastoral experience," which is how I felt at first. I still feel that I'm receiving more from this relationship than he is, but that's OK. I pray for him, I gave him my extra Wesley doll (when Asbury sent me two instead of one), and I frequently let him know how much I appreciate him. Oh, and I also stoke his ego by telling him that his sermon and/or the "special music" made me cry. But don't worry, I also ask him questions and have even expressed my disagreement from time to time.
  • I am going to Annual Conference this year. Did I tell you that? They're offering childcare for kids 3 and older, we're staying with my mother-in-law (who will watch Walter for me) so we don't have to pay for a hotel (because I get no per diem, since I'm on leave), and I'm looking forward to seeing some clergy friends.
Happy Friday!

No comments: