Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Who IS This Woman?

About two weeks ago, Lizzie (our worship/technology person) e-mailed me to see if I wanted to attend Catalyst 2011. Our church had purchased several tickets, but because we're hosting a major event that day, none of the staff, except Warren (our new worship leader) can attend. Therefore, I got invited to use one of the tickets.

I took a look at the website for the conference, and began drooling. I began figuring out how I could make it happen...the logistics and finances of getting to Atlanta, booking a hotel room, and childcare while I'm gone. Within 24 hours:
  • I had remembered that I had 50K+ in frequent flier miles from Delta, thus ensuring that my flight would be free.
  • I had booked a hotel room within walking distance of the conference center, with faith that God would provide a roommate to split the cost. 
  • I had made arrangements for the kids (mostly involving my mother taking care of them). 
  • I had told Lizzie that I was "in" to attend the conference. 
My flight is booked, the hotel room is booked, God has provided two (2!) roommates to help me split the cost, and I'm headed to Atlanta and Catalyst 2011. The only person I will actually "know" there is our new worship leader, with whom I have had two brief conversations and two e-mails. I'm getting ready to spend three days with people I do not know. I am so incredibly excited about this opportunity, I can't explain it.

What's more amazing is how my approach to this trip shows how my mentality has changed. The Patti of two years ago would have either said, "no way" off the bat (because of the cost, the logistics, the risk of being in an unknown place with unknown people) or given up a day or so later because of some sort of obstacle (real or perceived).

The Patti of 2011 saw an incredible opportunity for what it was, decided she wanted to be a part of it, and made it happen.

I don't know this Patti...I don't know this woman inhabiting my body...but I REALLY like her, and I hope she sticks around.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love this!!! :)

Dena G said...

Hi, Patti--
I'm headed to Atlanta, Catalyst and the blogger meetup as well...and I think I'm saying the same thing about myself!

I don't do crowds, I don't do conferences, I don't do "meet and greet" except with great reluctance and awkwardness, but somehow I'm doing ALL of those things next week.

Just wanted to say hi--I'm clicking through all of the bloggers on the meetup list...hope I get the opportunity to meet you in person next week!