Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Who I Am and Why I'm Here

Hi. I just started this blog today, and I'm keeping myself fairly anonymous for several reasons, mostly having to do with my personal safety and preserving my reputation and relationships. I will tell you a few things about me, though.

I'm in my early 30s and live in the southeastern US. I am a United Methodist clergyperson. I have a Master of Divinity from a great seminary in Kentucky. I have been married for almost eight years to a man who I'll call Harry. He is a software developer for a government contractor and has a PhD in Applied Math. We have a daughter who was born in August 2007, and I'll call her Nora. We also have a Labrador Retriever mix named Simon.

I am currently serving as a Chaplain Resident at a Level 2 Trauma Center near me. It's a year-long, full-time program of Clinical Pastoral Education. I spend half my time in seminars, supervision, and doing written work and the other half of my time doing chaplaincy work. It's pretty fun and I work with great people.

Prior to my residency, I served as a pastor for two years, and that will be the primary focus of this blog. It was a very difficult time in my life, and I experienced a lot of pain. I've healed some, but have a long ways to go. I'm hoping that some reflection on the experience will help the healing process.

In my next post, I'll begin the story of my church experience, so you have background information.

No comments: